(Not that I’m prone to hyperbole)
In all seriousness, there is a fundamental skill which separates the passionate, well-meaning doula from the insightful, effective and professional one. That skill is reflective practice.
What reflective practice isn’t:
- Rehashing bad scenarios.
- Relying on your own knowledge and experience to help you make sense of every situation.
- Unfocused and undirected remembering and daydreaming.
- Journaling (although that is a good start).
Ok, so what is it?
- A framework for thinking.
- A tool to help structure your learning needs
- The ability to turn every experience into a growth opportunity.
- Really rewarding. Once you see what a difference it makes it is hard to stop!
- Vital for doulas who are working independently or in isolation.